Promoting Cross-Cultural Awareness in a Post-9/11 World
Americans' Generalizations About the Bahraini Arab Muslims
- Islam is a radical and backward religion.
- Islam is a violent religion that preaches death. Suicide bombers are told they are serving a greater good and will be rewarded with a place in heaven for them and their family.
- Women who veil themselves are forced to and are oppressed. And those who completely veil themselves are scary looking.
- The Arabs hate Americans, but they sure want an American education.
- Muslim women are not treated equally as Muslim men, and do not have the same rights, particularly in the workplace and court system.
- Americans prefer to focus on the future, whereas Muslims seem to live in the past.
- All Arabs living in oil-producing countries are rich.
- Arab Muslims hate Israelis.
- Before 9/11, the Middle East seemed to be in another time. We never saw anything but camels and desert. After 9/11, nineteen terrorists became the face of the entire Arab world.
- Arabs as a whole are judged as terrorists and radicals, because this is what is in the news.
- Muslims think Americans are not tolerant of their religion or their culture, particularly post 9/11.